WVEC History
About WVEC
WVEC TV first went on the air on September 19th, 1953. The station first broadcast on UHF channel 15 as the NBC affiliate for Hampton Roads. The station was originally headquartered in Hampton, which remains the station's city of license. The first ownership group was led by Thomas P. Chisman, a Hampton businessman.

In 1959, the station switched from UHF to VHF and from channel 15 to 13. That same year, the station switched from NBC to ABC…an affiliation we proudly continue today.

In 1980, station was sold from the local ownership group to Corinthian Broadcasting, a subsidiary of the Dun and Bradstreet company. In 1984, Belo purchased Corinthian, including WVEC. In late 2013, Belo was purchased by Gannett. In 2015, Gannett spun its publishing properties from its broadcast and digital properties, making WVEC part of TEGNA Media, one of the largest, most geographically diverse broadcasters in the U.S.

Click here to license our content: