Ramp closures planned for I-64 widening project
JAMES CITY COUNTY, Va. (WVEC) -- As Phase II of the I-64 Widening Project continues, the Virginia Department of Transportation says drivers can expect several ramps to be closed for several days in January.
Esmond Calvin says driving on I-64 used to be hectic. That was before VDOT gave drivers an extra lane on one part of the intestate.
"Three lanes are a big improvement," Calvin says.
Calvin drives I-64 every morning going to work. He's already been on the newly-widened I-64 between Jefferson avenue and Yorktown road, and he approves.
"I see a big difference in the traffic," Calvin says. "I get to work much faster."
The affected ramps are from Route 199 (Exit 242) to Yorktown Road (Exit 247).
From January 2 to January 5:
- I-64 west off-ramp to Route 143 (exit 243B), from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 east, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
All construction work is dependent on weather conditions, and signs will be in place alerting drivers of the closures and detour.
Traffic will be detoured as follows:
I-64 west off-ramp to Route 143 (exit 243B) closure:
- Take Exit 242A to Humelsine Parkway (VA-199 west)
- Keep right and follow signs for VA-143 detour
- Exit right at the Williamsburg VA-143 exit
Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west closure:
- Follow signs on Route 199 east to traffic signal
- Make a U-turn at signal to access Route 199 west
- Follow Route 199 west to I-64 west on-ramp
Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 east closure:
- Follow signs on Route 199 west to Route 60 ramp
- From Route 60 take the Route 199 east ramp
- Follow signs to the I-64 east on-ramp
Earlier this month, VDOT finished Segment 1 of the I-64 widening project. Interstate 64 from Jefferson avenue to Yorktown Road is now three lanes in both directions.
Calvin is looking forward to an even smoother ride in the morning's.
"Interstate widening is going to be a benefit," Calvin says.
More information on the project can be found VDOT's I-64 Widening website.