NORFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- The threat of bad weather this weekend -- including potential impacts from Hurricane Matthew -- prompted the postponement or cancellation of several events and activities across Hampton Roads and northeastern North Carolina.
Poquoson High School canceled its homecoming parade that was supposed to take place Friday.
The Ocean View Art Show in Norfolk also was a no-go for this weekend, but it was rescheduled for later this month.
Despite the less-than-stellar forecast, Suffolk's Peanut Festival continued as planned.
List of Activities and Events Affected By Weather
Sunday Worship Services
- Several places of worship canceled some or all of their services for Sunday. For your particular place of worship, we recommend contacting the head of your congregation
Sporting Events Church Services:
- Virginia Beach Varsity football games have been rescheduled. Click here for details
- ODU's football game against Massachusetts has been moved up to Friday night at 8 p.m.
- Waterways Heritage Festival- rescheduled to a one-day rain date of Saturday, Oct. 15 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Click here for more information.
Isle of Wight County
- Parade of Homes in Carrollton has been canceled for October 9.
James City County
- The Shred-A-Thon has been canceled due to the weather. A new date for the event will be announced at a later date.
- The Color Ride bicycle event has been canceled.
- The Williamsburg Pickleball Tournament has been canceled. (The Williamsburg Pickleball rain date scheduled for Sunday has also been canceled.)
- Harvest Faire at Endview Plantation canceled October 9.
- The Ocean View Art Show for October 8 and 9 has been postponed to October 29 and 30.
- The Hannibal Montanabal Experience that was scheduled to occur at the Attucks Theater on Saturday, October 8 has been postponed. The new date will be announced in a few days. Tickets for the original date will be honored at the new performance.
- Electronic and Household Hazardous Waste Facility- closed Friday, Oct. 7 through Monday, Oct. 10. The facility will reopen Tuesday, Oct. 11, at 10 a.m.
- Navy Exchange Little Creek planned to open at noon Sunday.
- Starting at 5 p.m. Thursday, Waste Management will end bulk pick-up operations. They are also asking citizens to not place bulk items at the curb until operations resume.
- All Portsmouth museums closed Sunday, October 9.
- The Virginia Festival of Flight, which was scheduled for Saturday, October 8, at the Suffolk Executive Airport, has been canceled due safety concerns for aviators over potential high winds. The Virginia Aviation Council will discuss any future festival dates and announce accordingly in the weeks ahead.
- Suffolk Peanut Festival has been canceled. Some event that were supposed to take place will be rescheduled, those dates will be announced later in the week.
- The Suffolk Visitors Center and the Suffolk Art Gallery closed Sunday, October 9.
- The Neptune Festival's sand sculpting attraction had to be closed several days early, shutting down on Tuesday to give workers several days to dismantle the exhibit.
- The Oct. 11 workshop meeting of the Virginia Beach City Council has been canceled. Four briefings were scheduled. One on short-term online home rentals has been postponed to Nov. 1. One on resort parking will be re-scheduled to a date to be determined. Two briefings on financial results for FY2016 and a Human Services audit will heard on Oct. 18.
- 5th Annual Eucharistic Procession along the boardwalk- canceled
- The Chincoteague Oyster Festival has been postponed to October 15th.
- The Duck Jazz Festival and all of its associated events have been canceled. It will not be rescheduled.
Roanoke Island, NC
- The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island will be closed for the remainder of October 7, and all day Saturday, October 8. Staff will assess weather conditions Sunday to determine if the aquarium will be open.