CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WVEC) -- A family of 7 was displaced after a house fire Tuesday evening.

The fire happened just after 4:45 p.m. in the 3000 block of Welcome Road.

According to Captain Lawrence Matthews, the fire was started when a child inside the home was playing with a lighter.

When crews arrived they saw smoke coming from the two-story duplex.

The fire was out less than 30 minutes later.

The fire caused extensive damage, resulting in one adult and six children being displaced. The family found a new place to stay without help from officials.

No one was injured.