NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WVEC) -- Crews knocked down flames sparked by a grease fire at a home in Newport News Monday afternoon.

We're told this happened at a home in the 1000 block of Birdella Dr. where fire units were dispatched shortly after 1:30 p.m.

Crews arrived to find smoke coming from the front door and went inside to find a kitchen fire, which was contained.

One person was inside the home at the time the fire started, but exited before fire crews arrived on scene.

No one was injured.

Two displaced occupants were assisted by the Red Cross.