NORFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- Firefighters were called out to a synagogue in Norfolk after black smoke was seen billowing from a building on Tuesday morning.

Temple Israel, located in the 7200 block of Granby Street, was evacuated around 8 a.m. after smoke came up from the basement through the chimney.

Crews went in and discovered a malfunctioning boiler in the basement was the culprit of the black smoke. No injuries are reported, and it's not clear at this time how extensive the damages are.

Stay updated on this and other stories by downloading the FREE 13News Now app now in the iTunes store or on Google Play.