VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a fire that left six adults and two children without a home on Monday morning.

Virginia Beach Fire Department was alerted to the fire in the 400 block of Burr Oak Circle just before 9:30 a.m.

Officials say the fire appears to have started in an upper bathroom of the rented townhome.

An adult was treated for minor burns, while a 94-year-old man was treated for breathing difficulties.

The children who live in the house were at school at the time of the fire.

The fire was brought under control by 9:40, with a firewall created that contained the fire to just the single townhome unit.

Investigators determined the cause to be accidental, sparked by an overheated electrical circuit.

VERIFY: Are power strips and space heaters a dangerous combo?

PHOTOS: Fire rips through Virginia Beach townhouse