VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- Officials say a multi-unit, two-alarm fire in Virginia Beach left at least 11 people displaced Sunday afternoon.
According to the Virginia Beach Fire Department, the fire happened in the 3300 block of Boynton Court. The first alarm was called in at 1:23 p.m. Units arrived at 1:27 p.m. to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the back side of multiple townhome units.
A second alarm was called in at 1:32 p.m. to help contain the growing fire being fueled by gusty winds.
Two buildings on the adjacent street suffered exterior damage from the extreme heat coming from the burning units on Boynton Court. The damage to those buildings consisted of burnt siding.
In all, 10 units from two buildings in the neighborhood were affected by the fire, with the most serious damage done to the units on Boynton Court. A number of exterior exposures behind the units including sheds and privacy fences were also damaged by the fire, according to the Virginia Beach Fire Department.
The fire was declared under control at 1:49 p.m. and was ruled accidental.
The cause of the fire was found to be unattended cooking equipment on the back deck of one of the middle units.
There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians. Two people were checked out on scene, but were determined to be okay.
The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.