VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- A gas leak led to high amounts of carbon monoxide inside a Virginia Beach business.

Virginia Natural Gas was called out to the Chanello's Pizza on Pleasure House Road on Thursday morning, where they were able to turn off the gas.

Virginia Beach Fire also responded to the scene, and registered high amounts of carbon monoxide inside the building. It is believed the issue was caused by an oven.

Ambulances were called out to treat four people who were inside the business at the time.

Chanello's issued the following statement:

Chanello’s Pizza would like to address the concerns over the events that are unfolding at our Pleasure House location. It was brought to our attention this morning that there were high levels of carbon monoxide detected, so we immediately turned off the gas and removed all personnel from the area.

Our professional technicians and our team are on-site investigating the cause and working to fix the issue. Once the cause has been identified and corrected, we will be reevaluating related policies and procedures to ensure that this does not happen again at this or any Chanello’s Pizza location.

Our store will remain closed until we can create a safe environment for our team, customers and neighbors. The area will be serviced in the interim by Chanello’s Pizza at 1002 Aragona Blvd (757) 473-2600.

The safety of our staff, customers and neighbours are of paramount importance to all of us at Chanello’s Pizza. Our thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who may have been affected by this situation.