WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WVEC) -- Pedestrians and bicyclists will be able to use a new trail that will run through Downtown and Midtown Williamsburg.

The city approved the use of a $1 million block grant for the trail. The grant is part of VDOT's Transportation Alternatives Program and will pay for the construction of the trail.

The trail, which will run along Monticello Avenue, is expected to start at Treburn Drive at the College of William & Mary's School of Education and end at Ironbound Road near the Williamsburg-James City County Courthouse.

The Monticello Multi-use Trail is a part of a goal city council established through adoption of a resolution in October 2015.

The College of William & Mary as well as the W&M Student Assembly provided letters of support.

City Engineer Aaron Small said the trail can be used by pedestrians and cyclists to travel the downtown and midtown areas safely to New Town in James City County.

It will be separated from the road, but it will be visible. The trail will be approximately 10-feet wide and paved with asphalt.

Streetlights will be installed to provide lighting.

Project design is expected to begin in fiscal year 2017 with construction to follow in fiscal year 2018.

Officials said they expect to spend $1.25 million on the project, with 80 percent paid for by VDOT's TAP grant. The City of Williamsburg and the College of William & Mary will cover the other 20 percent.

<p -x-system-font:="" 12px="" 6px="" a="" auto="" display:="" font-family:="" font-size-adjust:="" font-size:="" font-stretch:="" font-style:="" font-variant:="" font-weight:="" href="https://www.scribd.com/document/344883462/Multi-Purpose-Trail-in-Williamsburg#from_embed" line-height:="" margin:="" style="" "="" title="View Multi Purpose Trail in Williamsburg on Scribd">Multi-purpose Trail in Williamsburg by 13News Now on Scribd