YORK COUNTY, Va. (WVEC) -- The person accused of shooting a man at an auto body shop made a courtroom appearance via video Wednesday.

Michael Sean Taylor, 40, faces several charges including Attempted First Degree Murder.

A judge granted Taylor a court-appointed attorney. At the request of that attorney, the judge ordered Taylor to undergo a psychological evaluation to determine his competency to stand trial. The other goal of the evaluation is to determine Taylor's sanity at the time of the shooting.

Taylor’s status is set for review on October 17 at 2 p.m.

Once the results of Taylor’s evaluation are complete, the judge will set a date for a preliminary hearing.

York-Poquoson Sheriff's Office deputies said Taylor targeted an employee of Ebby's Auto Painting & Collision Repair, which is located in the 500 block of Second Street in the Williamsburg area.

Sheriff Danny Diggs said that Taylor went to the business shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday to "settle a dispute with one of the employees."

According to court documents, Taylor approached an employee and demanded to see "Joey the painter," whose name is Joseph St. Clair.

The employee and the business’ owner took Taylor to see St. Clair. The paperwork said Taylor ultimately shot St. Clair several times.

Other workers got St. Clair out of the business Tuesday and took him to an adjacent parking lot. Deputies and EMS personnel treated St. Clair before medics took him to the hospital.

Doctors operated on St. Clair, and stabilized his condition.

Deputies said Taylor barricaded himself in the auto body shop. They tried to negotiate with him for several hours.

Eventually, the Emergency Response Team used gas and went into the building. Tactical Team members used a Taser to disarm Taylor. He then was taken into custody.

“I am very pleased that we were able to help save the life of the victim, and that we were able to capture the armed suspect without injury," Diggs said. "Our deputies demonstrated great bravery, professionalism, and restraint during the entire event.”

Besides the charge of Attempted First Degree Murder, Taylor faces charges of Shooting in an Occupied Building and Use of a Firearm in Commission of a Felony.

He is in Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail with no bond.

Magruder Elementary School and Queens Lake Middle School were placed under modified lockdown conditions during the standoff. As a result, summer dismissal at Magruder Elementary was delayed.