SUFFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- Fire & Rescue crews battled a house fire, Monday.

The fire occurred at a two-story home, in the 200 block of Chestnut St. just before 6:30 p.m.

When crews arrived on scene, they saw the fire coming from the rear of the house, and extending to the second story. Two people had been evacuated from the home before firefighters arrived.

A woman was taken to Sentara Obici Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Crews had the fire under control by 6:48 p.m.

The Fire Marshall believes the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

The home sustained significant smoke and fire damage. Four adults and 3 children have been displaced due to the damage. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.