VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- A family pet was spared during a house fire Wednesday afternoon.

Fire crews arrived at a home in the 100 block of Coventry Road around 2:15 p.m. They soon learned that the owner's pet cat was still inside the home.

The Kempsville Rescue Squad found the feline and brought it outside.

Crews gave the cat oxygen with a special mask made for animals, and it slowly woke up and regained consciousness.

Flames from a grill too close to the home appear to be what started the fire.

The back of the house was heavily damaged.

No one was injured.