VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- This Thanksgiving, keep a dessert favorite on the menu, but take it off the plate.
Save the fork for another dish, because your slice of apple pie is about to go mobile. “We are going to make Apple Pie Pops,” says Chef Melissa Pearson of Gourmet Bake Shoppe. “This is kind of something different to do other than an apple pie [or] a big large pie. These are individual nice sticks and they are really fun and everybody enjoys eating them.”
Start by making pie crust as usual. “If you're not a person who can do stuff from scratch, you can actually go buy the Pillsbury pie dough and roll it out and do it that way,” Pearson says.
After rolling out the pie crust, use a round cutter to create pieces for your pops. “Since it's apple pie, I like to use an apple-shaped one,” Pearson says.
Take a piece of cut pie crust and brush egg yolk along the edges. Then, gently press a lollipop into the pie crust piece. Next, scoop apple pie filling onto the middle of the pie crust.
“I made mine homemade from scratch but you can… probably use the other pie filling you buy in a can,” Pearson says. “But it might be a little messy and when [people] go to bite in it, they'll probably wear it!”
Cover the pie crust piece, lollipop stick and apple pie filling with another cut piece of pie crust. Then, press the edges of the two pie crust pieces together. “You can use a fork or you can use [another lollipop] stick,” says Pearson.
Brush both sides of the apple pie pop with a mixture of butter and a bit of sugar. “You can sprinkle it with sugar too… to help brown it,” says Pearson.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Let it cool on the baking sheet. Then, enjoy!
Gourmet Bake Shoppe has been baking custom cakes since 1993. They say only fresh and natural ingredients are used in their homemade, scratch recipes. To learn more, visit gourmetbakeshoppe.com.
Apple Pie Pops-
2 large apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 - 15 ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crusts)
- 10 paper or wooden lollipop sticks
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium skillet, cook apples, the 1/4 cup sugar, the 1 tsp. apple pie spice, the lemon juice, and salt over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until apples are nearly tender, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water until smooth. Add to apple mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and well combined. Mixture will thicken quickly.
3. Unroll pie crusts. On a lightly floured surface, roll each crust to a 12-inch circle. Using a 3-inch round or leaf cutter, make 10 cutouts in each circle of dough.
4. Arrange 10 of the cutouts on the prepared baking sheet. Press a lollipop stick firmly into the center of each dough cutout. Spoon a scant tablespoon of filling in the center of each cutout. You will have leftover filling.
5. In a small bowl whisk the egg white and 1 tsp. water until frothy. Use a pastry brush or your fingers to brush mixture around the edge of each dough shape. Place a second cutout of dough on top of the filling. Use a fork to seal the edges, taking care that dough is sealed around lollipop stick.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and remaining 1 tsp. water. Brush atop pie pops. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice. Sprinkle over pops.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet. Makes 10 pops.
Buttery Flaky Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.