NORFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- 13News Now and The Salvation Army invites everyone to brighten the holidays for other people in Hampton Roads through the Angel Tree program.
Since 1984, we've partnered with the army to provide clothes to thousands of children in the area. You'll see decorated Angel Trees at local malls and businesses with info about a child in need.
In past years, the Angel Tree campaign provided gifts of clothing to more than 7,200 children in South Hampton Roads.
The campaign provides an opportunity for the people to "adopt an angel" for Christmas. Once you take a tag from an Angel Tree, purchase appropriate clothing items for your "angel" listed on the tag, and return the unwrapped items to any public Angel Tree location by December 1.
Here are the locations where you can find an Angel Tree:
- Dillards at Greenbrier Mall -- 1401 Greenbrier Pkwy.
- Sears at Greenbrier Mall -- 1401 Greenbrier Pkwy.
- Off the Hook Seafood -- 500 Battlefield Blvd. South
- Walmart 1841 -- 1521 Sam's Cir.
- Chick-fil-A -- 1205 North Military Hwy.
- JANAF Management Offices -- 5900 East Virginia Beach Blvd.
- MacArthur Center Mall -- 300 Monticello Ave.
- Walmart 1811 -- 1170 North Military Hwy.
- Walmart 5488 -- 7530 Tidewater Dr.
- Haynes Furniture/The Dump -- 5324 Virginia Blvd.
- Lynnhaven Mall -- 701 Lynnhaven Pkwy.
- Pembroke Mall -- 4554 Virginia Beach Blvd.
- Sam's Club -- 3345 Virginia Beach Blvd.
- Walmart -- 4821 Virginia Beach Blvd.
- Walmart -- 1149 Nimmo Pkwy.
November 8 is the last day for people to sign up for Christmas Assistance from The Salvation Army. The sign-ups will take place a the army's new Christmas Distribution Center at 1205 Fordham Dr. in Virginia Beach. If you are applying for assistance, the following documentation is required:
- Current/valid government picture ID for the parent/guardian
- Birth certificates for all children ages 0-11 so their age can be verified. If you are not their parent, you are asked to bring proof of guardianship in addition to the birth certificate
- Current documentation of TANF, income-based housing, and/or Food Stamps (SNAP) if applicable
- If you do not receive any of the income qualifiers listed above, you are asked to bring the following:
- Employment pay stubs for the last 30 days for all working household members
- Proof of unemployment benefits, child support, Social Security, SSI and/or verification of any other type of household income
- If reporting $0 income, you will be required to go to your local Employment Commission office and get documentation showing you have not worked in the state of Virginia in the last quarter
- Proof of household crisis will be required if your income exceeds current poverty guidelines
If you do not bring all items listed above, you may be asked to retrieve those documents and return at a later time to be considered.
You can visit The Salvation Army's website for more information or call (757) 543-8100, extension 64249.
© 2017 WVEC-TV