2 fires in Newport News caused by a space heater, electrical short

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WVEC) -- Two fires in Newport News reported within an hour of one another.

A space heater caused the first fire on Monday.

The Newport News Fire Department responded to a residential fire at Roanoke Avenue and 36th Street around 11:45 a.m.

When firefighters arrived on the scene a large portion of the 1st floor was fully engulfed in flames. The fire was reported under control by 12:07 p.m., and no occupants were found inside.

The structure suffered significant fire, heat, smoke, and water damage throughout the home.

Shortly after the fire at Roanoke Avenue and 36th Street, the fire department received a second call for a structure fire at the 1100 block of 17th Street. The call was made at 12:56 p.m.

A backyard storage shed was fully engulfed in flames and crews made an aggressive attack and extinguished the flames a few minutes after arriving.

During the fire operations, firefighters were able to rescue three dogs that were that were located in houses beside the shed. However, there were two dog fatalities.

The shed suffered significant damage and als there was radiant heat damage to two other houses in the area. 

The cause of the shed fire was an electrical short. There were no reported injuries to civilians of firefighters.

© 2017 WUSA-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment