SUFFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- Nine firefighters from Suffolk were taken to the hospital for exposure to pesticides on Friday.
Emergency communications were notified at 6:22 p.m. that smoke was coming from the Continental Terminals facility in the 1300 block of Progress Road.
According to authorities, no one was in the facility when firefighters arrived on the scene, so they had to force entry into the building.
Firefighters encountered a haze that was initially thought to be smoke, but was then determined to be pesticide that were being used to fog the building.
The affected firefighters received emergency medical assessment on scene and were transported to Sentara Obici Hospital for further evaluation. All of the firefighters have been released.
Suffolk Police provided security at the scene and the roadway was completely closed for a period of time, and then traffic was alternated. The roadway reopened to through traffic at approximately 8:48 p.m.
The Fire Marshal's Office will be handling the investigation., and no further information has been released.
© 2018 WVEC-TV