Child playing with lighter leaves family of 7 displaced

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WVEC) -- A family of 7 was displaced after a house fire Tuesday evening.

The fire happened just after 4:45 p.m. in the 3000 block of Welcome Road. 

According to Captain Lawrence Matthews, the fire was started when a child inside the home was playing with a lighter. 

When crews arrived they saw smoke coming from the two-story duplex. 

The fire was out less than 30 minutes later. 

The fire caused extensive damage, resulting in one adult and six children being displaced. The family found a new place to stay without help from officials. 

No one was injured. 

© 2017 WVEC-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment