(WVEC) -- Calling all knitters and crocheters out there: Some soon-to-be newborns need help looking their best for a good cause.
The American Heart Association is hosting its annual Little Hats, Big Hearts drive to gather up as many red knitted hats for newborns born in the month of February.
The event honors babies, moms and heart health awareness by asking supporters to knit or crochet red hats to be given out to thousands of babies during American Heart Month in February.
The red hats should be made with cotton or acrylic, medium to heavy-weight yarn and ideally should be machine washable and dryable. The AHA is asking for simple patterns or plain red hats. Yard donations are also accepted.
Adding buttons, bows, and other additions to the hats could become a choking hazard.
Local hospitals participating in Little Hats, Bigs Hearts:
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- Sentara Obici Hospital
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
- Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center
- Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center
- Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital
© 2017 WVEC-TV