NORFOLK, Va. -- (WVEC) With the holiday season approaching, The Salvation Army Hampton Roads Command is accepting applications for its annual Christmas Assistance program which includes Joy Fund, Toys for Tots, and Angel Tree.
The Salvation Army partners with 13News Now, The Virginia-Pilot Joy Fund, Unit a chance to brighten the lives of children and families who are in need.
The Salvation Army will accept applications for holiday assistance from people who live in the following areas at the following locations and on the following dates:
Cities of Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake
Military Circle Mall, near the East Cinemark Theater entrance
Until October 13
12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Portsmouth and zip codes 23321 and 23323
The Salvation Army of Portsmouth, 2306 Airline Blvd., Portsmouth
October 16 to October 20
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Anyone applying for assistance will need the following documentation:
- Current/valid government picture ID for the parent/guardian
- Birth certificates for all children ages 0-11 so age can be verified (If the applicant is not the parent of the children, birth certificates and proof of guardianship are needed.)
- Current documentation of TANF, income-based housing, and/or Food Stamps (SNAP), if applicable
If you do not receive any of the income qualifiers listed above, please bring the following:
- Employment pay stubs for the last 30 days for all working household members
- Proof of unemployment benefits, child support, Social Security, SSI and/or verification of any other type of household income
If reporting $0 income, you will be required to go to your local Employment Commission office and get documentation showing you have not worked in the state of Virginia in the last quarter.
Proof of household crisis will be required if your income exceeds current poverty guidelines.
© 2017 WVEC-TV