CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WVEC) -- What began as a traffic stop in Chesapeake ended with a crash in Portsmouth and the suspect facing a long list of charges.
Chesapeake Police say they tried pulling over a Toyota Corolla for an expired inspection sticker shortly before 2 p.m. Thursday, at the intersection of Campostella Road and Portlock Road. The driver, later identified as 35-year-old Antonio Windley, refused to stop, which began a police pursuit.
Investigators say the pursuit continued into the City of Portsmouth, which is where Windley allegedly crashed into a utility pole at the Victory Crossing Shopping Center.
The suspect then fled the vehicle, but was apprehended after a brief foot pursuit in the 1900 block of Garrett Street.
Police say Windley will be charged with the following:
- Driving under the influence (Drugs)
- Driving on a suspended license
- Felony eluding
- Possession with intent to distribute marijuana
- Possession of a stolen firearm
- Possession of a firearm with altered serial number
- Possession of a firearm by a three-time convicted felon
Additionally, Windley also had four outstanding warrants for assault.
Portsmouth Police will handle the crash investigation.
© 2018 WVEC-TV