VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- The Virginia Beach Fire Department rescued a dog from a burning home Tuesday morning.
According to officials, before 9:30 a.m. firefighters responded to a residential fire in the 300 block of Pratt Court.
When units arrived they saw smoke coming from the home. Crews entered the building and saw the fire appeared to extend from the fireplace in the living room.
Firefighters went on the offensive and were able to keep the fire from spreading to the upstairs of the home or adjoining units.
A woman at the home told firefighters a dog was still inside the home. After searching, the little dog was found hiding in the bathroom. The dog was scared but was able to be safely removed.
No people or animals were injured during the incident.
Officials determined that smoldering ashes from a previous fire in the fireplace caught the fireplace's wood frame on fire.
The Virginia Beach Fire Department reminds everyone to have your fireplace and chimney inspected at least once a year to ensure that everything is in good working order.
© 2018 WVEC-TV