Elevated levels of carbon monoxide, smell of gas in Deep Creek High School

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WVEC) -- Officials were investigating reports of a gas odor coming from the main hallway of Deep Creek High School this morning. 

Lieutenant Anthony Barakat with the Chesapeake Fire Department told 13News Now they received a call for the odor around 7:30 a.m. 

He said the building was not evacuated, but kids were asked to stay in areas that were clear of the odor. No injuries or illnesses were reported.

Barakat said crews found elevated levels of carbon monoxide with a smell of gas. 

Maintenance and fire crews worked to isolate and fix two natural gas leaks on a rooftop HVAC unit.

Crews deemed the area clear and the school was returned to normal operations just after 9:30 a.m.

© 2018 WVEC-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment