6 people displaced after Newport News house fire caused by space heater

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WVEC) -- Six people are displaced after a space heater caused a house fire on Monday morning. 

Newport News Fire Department responded to the fire in the 1100 block of 33rd Street just before 8:30 a.m. on Monday. 

Crews found heavy smoke and heat coming out from a window of the two-story house. 

Fire officials say the fire started in a bedroom by a space heater that was operating too close to combustibles. 

Two adjacent houses were damaged during the fire. 

No one was injured.

The Newport News Fire Department wants to remind everyone to make sure that you have an operational smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide detector in your home. 

This incident also serves are a reminder that space heaters should only be used in accordance with the safety precautions outlined on the heating unit itself. 

© 2017 WVEC-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment