NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WVEC) -- Firefighters say no one was injured during an early morning house fire in Newport News on Friday.
Fire crews were called to a fire at a home located in the 100 block of Millers Cove Road at 4:16 a.m. Arriving at 4:24 a.m., they found heavy smoke coming from an attached garage.
Robert Lee with Newport News Fire said crews made an immediate attack on the fire and searched the home. The residents evacuated the home after smelling smoke prior to firefighters' arrival.
The fire was under control at 5:03 a.m. and was found to be caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.
All of the residents are being assisted by family members.
No injuries were reported.