Customer, server burned during cooking demo at Indian restaurant

A woman and a waiter were badly burned during a side table demonstration in Norfolk

NORFOLK, Va. (WVEC) - A woman and a server were burned badly at a restaurant in Ghent Thursday night.

It happened just after 6 pm. at Rajput Indian Cuisine on West 21st Street. A female customer received significant burns to her face and head during a cooking demonstration. The waiter also was burned on both of his arms. 

The restaurant opened for a few hours on Friday, but was then closed. An employee told 13News Now the owner is in India, and no one wanted to comment on the incident. 

Norfolk Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Joe Milligan said the Fire Marshal's Office investigating.

"It's really sad and really unfortunate," said customer Cole Smith, adding, "It's really good food, really good service, and really good quality."

Milligan said there was discussion about sending the woman to a burn unit in Richmond.

"It's Christmastime and her family, you don't know, so you just hope and pray that she recovers," said Smith.

© 2018 WVEC-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment