NORFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- A raccoon found in the Forest Park neighborhood has tested positive for rabies.
The raccoon was found on November 16 in the 1200 block of Sheppard Avenue. The raccoon was tested at the Virginia Department of Consolidated Laboratory Services in Richmond.
On November 17, the results came back positive for rabies.
If anyone has recently been scratched or bitten by a raccoon in the area they are asked to contact Norfolk Public Health at (757)683-2712.
The following precautions are recommended to reduce rabies exposure:
- Warn adults and children not to approach or feed animals not belonging to them and to report any animal bites or scratches.
- Do not handle or touch stray or wild animals.
- Be sure dogs and cats are up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Keep pets confined to the home and yard.
- Keep yards free of food that could attract wild animals.
- Report stray or unvaccinated animals to Animal Control at (757)664-7387.
- Report all animal or human exposures to the Norfolk Department of Public Health at (757)683-2712.
For further information, please contact the Environmental Health Division, Norfolk Department of Public Health at (757)683-2712.
© 2017 WVEC-TV