PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WVEC) -- Eight families in Portsmouth are without a place to stay after a fire forced them out of their homes.
The fire broke out at an apartment building Wednesday around 2:00 p.m. in the 1600 block of Deep Creek Boulevard.
The Portsmouth Fire Department believe the fire was due to an electrical problem. The building is not officially condemned, but is considered unlivable until it's inspected.
Residents told 13News Now they are simply devastated by the loss.
"It's two days after Christmas, people really ain't got no money or funds like that," said resident Taurus Martin. "So what are these families going to do? Eight families without a home to live in."
The Red Cross is helping out the families, but people we spoke with said it's just enough for one or two days in a hotel.
"The little money that Red Cross dishes out. They ain't going to do nothing but last for a little bit. A day or two," said Martin.
This fire is brining out the heroes in families though.
McKinley Byrd’s 76 year-old mom lives in a bottom floor apartment. Byrd said luckily, he happened to be nearby just in time shortly after the fire started.
"I said momma I got you, I got you. I pulled her out the window and she was just shaking like a leaf on a tree," said Byrd.
Everyone is now wondering what the owners will do next.
We spoke with the property manager who said, "they are working as fast as they can to get their residents answers."
© 2018 WVEC-TV