SUFFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- Suffolk Fire and Rescue responded to a report of a person on fire at a business Wednesday morning.
The man was reportedly working on an outside boiler at Ervin Architectural Products when a flash fire occurred.
Upon arrival, crews found an adult man severely burned. His injuries are potentially life-threatening. The victim was airlifted to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Investigations revealed that there was no foul play involved. The victim was attempting to start the boiler which feeds water and heat to the business. The victim used gasoline as an accelerant resulting in the flash burn.
John Kravchak, owner of the company, said the man was a temporary worker who worked on and off for the company for the past three to four months.
It's pretty tragic," said Kravchak. "It's an accident, it's not a phone call you want to get and it's sad. We just hope that he pulls through and everything's ok."
Authorities said the incident happened in the 1200 block of Carolina Road around 7:30 a.m.
Suffolk city officials classified it as an industrial accident. The Suffolk Fire Marshall, Suffolk Police and Virginia Occupational Safety and Health Department are investigating the incident.
© 2018 WVEC-TV