SUFFOLK, Va. (WVEC) -- Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews are on scene of a hazardous materials incident that happened Thursday morning at the Lake Kilby Water Treatment Plant.
A natural gas line was reportedly damaged shortly before 11 am in the 100 block of Maury Place. While the location is in Suffolk, the facility is owned and operated by the City of Portsmouth.
Suffolk Battalion Chief William Kessinger says a lawn service contractor struck the gas line with a mower near a monitoring and storage warehouse at the site. Nearby employees were evacuated, and employees at other locations within the complex were advised to shelter in place.
Virginia Natural Gas arrived on scene and secured the valve shortly before noon. Dominion Virginia Power also responded, due to the high concentration of natural gas from the struck supply line that was flowing onto an outdoor electrical power pedestal.
No injuries are reported, and there was no disruption at the facility or of the water supply.