Discarded smoking materials to blame for townhouse fire

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- Three people are displaced following a townhouse fire in Virginia Beach on Saturday evening.

Firefighters were called to the 100 block of Tower Drive in Parliament Village shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday. Arriving crews found smoke and flames coming from the building.  They were able to bring the fire under control within 30 minutes.

Three units were damaged, and three people were displaced. The Red Cross was called for assistance. No one was hurt.

Investigators say it appears carelessly discarded smoking materials are the probable cause of the fire.  

The Virginia Beach Fire Department reminds everyone to make sure your cigarettes are completely out before you discard them in an ash tray or other noncombustible container, and to never leave smoking materials unattended.

© 2017 WVEC-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories