Two condos damaged in Virginia Beach fire

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- A fire caused significant damage to a condominium Thursday in Virginia Beach.

Fire units were called to the 2400 block of Marsh Creek around 11 a.m. after receiving reports of an active fire. Crews arrived and had the flames extinguished in about 10 minutes.

According to the Virginia Beach Fire Department, one person was home in each unit at the time of the fire, which caused heavy damage around a chimney and attic of one of the units. No one was injured.

Investigators believe the fire was accidental and started in the chimney.  

Power was restored to the units, but due to the extent of the damage the residents in the unit where the fire started will be temporarily displaced.  The adjoining condo suffered only minor damage.

The Virginia Beach Fire Department wants to remind people to be sure your chimney is clean before using the fireplace. 

A chimney sweep should inspect your fireplace and chimney at least once each year, and you should only burn dry wood, like oak.  Do not use pine logs or scrap lumber, as these materials can cause creosote to accumulate in your chimney.

PHOTOS: Two condominiums damaged in Virginia Beach fire

© 2017 WVEC-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories