VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- Service members are now being asked not to take their business to a particular car dealership.
US Auto Excellence car dealership was placed on the 'off-limits' list by the Commander of the Navy Region Mid-Atlantic.
The decision was "due to the establishment’s participation in unfair business practices and an illegal business practice known as bird-dogging," according to the Navy press release.
The Navy defines bird-dogging as "when someone refers a prospective customer to a particular dealership or salesman for a given fee or compensation."
According to Virginia Law, only salespersons licensed to a dealership can assist customers with a purchase of a vehicle.
The current off-limits list includes the following establishments:
- 7 City’s Custom & Design, 1062 37th St., Norfolk
- 7 City’s Custom & Design, 117 E. Princess Anne Rd., Norfolk
- Blazin Herbs, 85 W. Mercury Blvd., Hampton
- Mellow Smoke Tobacco Shop, 1948 Diamond Springs Rd., Virginia Beach
- Outer Edge Gifts, 760-B J. Clyde Morris Blvd., Newport News
- The Vault, 86 W. Mercury Blvd., Hampton
- The Vault, 15435-B Warwick Blvd., Newport News
- The Vault, 4746 George Washington Memorial Hwy., Hayes, Va.
- Unwind, 731 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., Ste. B, Newport News
- Unwind, 389 W. 21st St., Norfolk
- US Auto Excellence, 3336 Holland Road, Virginia Beach
More information on businesses on the 'off-limits' list is available here.