LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NEWPORT NEWS -- Crews battled a two-story apartment fire in the 300 Block of Hickory Point Road in Newport News Wednesday afternoon.

According to Battalion Chief J. Douglas Carper, crews reported heavy fire showing from the first floor when they arrived around 1:30 p.m.

Carper says the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

One apartment was condemned, displacing two adults and one child. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Nobody was injured in the fire.




Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/10/14868088/