UPDATE 1/22: As of 9:45 a.m., there were 381 customers still in the dark at 26 locations. Most of the outages have been due to gusty winds and/or tree limbs contacting lines.
DARE CO. -- Thousands of people in Dare County were without power on one of the coldest nights of the year Tuesday.
According to Dominion Power, an outage affected nearly 20,000 people in Dare County around 10:30 p.m. The number was down to about 9,000 an hour later. Power was restored around midnight.
Officials said the outage was caused by equipment failure in Cape Hatteras.
Another outage was reported in Norfolk affecting over 2000 customers and 2600 more customers in Virginia Beach, officials said.
The biggest trouble spots:
- Outer Banks - at 10:36 PM a transmission line went down knocking out power to 9674 Dominion customers in Nags Head/Manteo area, including two co-op that serve more than 8600 customers in Cape Hatteras and Mann's Harbor. Power was restored in 44 minutes.
- Everyone's lights are back on in Camden, NC . 421 customers lost power overnight due to significant damage off North Sandy Hook Rd, including a broken cross arm and wires down.
- In Virginia Beach 800 customers lost power near Baker Road. That outage started at 10:30pm last night. Crews are still working to repair major damage to our equipment out there. All but 175 customers have been restored. Estimated time of restoration for those remaining customers in noon.
- At a second Virginia Beach location, off Paca Road, 500 customers lost power around 10:30pm last night. crews got the lights back on at 5:10am.
- n Norfolk, 426 customers lost power in the Green Hill area, near Tidewater Drive and Widgeon. They were all restored by 9:30am.
- In Hampton, the Chamberlin Assisted Living Community lost partial power around midnight. Full power has been restored as of 9:42am.
- Also in Hampton, the Peninsula airport lost power at 5:30am for about 4 hours. Crews restored power at 9:30am.