LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NEWPORT NEWS - A home in Newport News was condemned Tuesday after fire caused thousands of dollars in damage.

Investigators say a problem with the furnace in the attic sparked the fire in the home on Wilderness Way just before 11:00 a.m.

Everyone there got out safely, but two people needed medical attention, said Battalion Chief Steve Pincus.

He said the preliminary damage estimate is around $35,000.00.

The five residents will be staying with family, he added.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/09/14800662/