Director of Digital Media WVEC and WVEC.COM
WVEC-TV / WVEC.com is seeking the next Director of Digital Media to lead our content planning and execution across multiple digital media platforms. The DODM is a member of the executive leadership team reporting directly to the President / General Manager, and will work hand-in-hand with the Executive News Director and Creative Services Director to maximize digital content output, develop strategy across platforms, and increase flow of information between departments. The Director of Digital Media is a hands-on position, and the successful candidate must also be able to coach and lead across all departments. The DODM is responsible for the general management of the digital media department including setting budgets, policies, and strategies, in order to achieve competitive advantage and usage.
- Manage and develop a team of digital content producers, helping them grow as digital journalists and challenging them to innovate, automate, and produce remarkable content and user experiences.
- Supervise the work of the digital media department employees including hiring, training, task assignments and performance appraisals.
- Oversee the daily production of compelling news content, ensuring accuracy, completeness, and relevance.
- Establishes strategic and tactical plans for the digital organization to maximize the stations' competitive advantage and breakthrough to new platforms.
- Increase efficiencies by evaluating and optimizing publishing workflows and processes.
- Prepare operating budgets, maintain operating cost control.
- Negotiate and review contracts, manage vendor relationships.
- Analyze audience data, identify trends, and optimize user experiences.
- Responsible for policy enforcement; acts as a liaison for digital operations in coordinating efforts with station management, vendors, corporate and other station departments.
- Lead collaboration across multiple, disparate teams of reporters, producers, photographers, marketers, technologists, etc. (a.k.a. herding cats)
- Develop and refine processes to ensure optimal performance and compliance with digital publishing standards, including AP style guidelines, Google News publishing guidelines, etc.
- Oversee editorial quality and compliance with journalistic standards.
- At least three (3) years of experience leading a team and managing high-profile websites strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in digital media, journalism, interactive technology, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of digital media tools and concepts including content management systems, mobile publishing and online community management tools.
- Proven experience and a solid understanding of SEO/SEM concepts, online marketing, social media, digital journalism, and user experience management.
- Experience analyzing audience data and identifying behavioral trends.
- Excellent project management, communication, and critical thinking skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite Web tools (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.) and/or similar applications.
- Solid understanding of photo and video editing concepts and tools.
Rush your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com, or mail them to Human Resources, WVEC-TV, Inc., 613 Woodis Ave., Norfolk, VA 23510. No phone calls please.
WVEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of this station not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of the person's age, race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, or any other protected classes. Discriminatory practices are specifically prohibited by Belo and the Federal Communications Commission.