LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

SUFFOLK -- Investigators believe an accidental fire in the kitchen led to the death of the 69-year-old woman who lived there.

Mary Rodgers was taken to the hospital as firefighters battled smoke and flames in her Mallard Drive home on December 1.

She died the next day.

Rodgers and her sister, Janet Boyle, were inside the home when fire started. 13News is told that when firefighters arrived on the scene, Rodgers was still in the burning home trying to save a pet.

Boyle was treated for burns and smoke inhalation and released the next day.

Her son said the women barely made it out.

'The other woman came in and told her to get out of the house. She came out of the house, she came out and saw the fire, exited the house and by that time smoke was starting to fill up so she had to crawl out,' said Nicholas Boyles.

On Dec. 13, investigators said the fire started in the kitchen and that while they feel it was accidental, they continue to work to determine exactly how it started.

Two dogs escaped the fire; the cat didn't survive.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/08/14791612/