NORFOLK - Four people can't stay in their home because of an early morning fire.
The residents of the Kirby Crescent home, a couple and their daughter and son-in-law, were awake, smelled smoke and got out safely around 6:00 a.m., Capt. Mike Hicks told WVEC.com.
Crews could see smoke and flames as they arrived. The fire started in the sunroom and smoke filled the rest of the house.
The preliminary investigation indicates the fire was sparked by the extension cord to a space heater, Hicks added.
Kirby Crescent was closed for nearly two hours for the firefight.