LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NEWPORT NEWS -A Newport News man was alerted to fire by the smoke detector in his home.

Firefighters say unattended cooking caused the fire around 2:00 a.m. Monday on Thalia Drive in the Denbigh neighborhood.

According to investigators, the man heard the alarm and found fire in the kitchen. He tried to put the fire out, but the smoke and flames were too much and he had to get out.

He was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and cuts.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/09/14811680/