LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHESAPEAKE - An early-morning fire casued by an unattended candle destroyed a house in Chesapeake.

A man was inside the Stewart Avenue house, but he wasn't hurt. Authorities say the house was supposed to be vacant and had no power. The man was using candles as a source of light.

Firefighters got to the house around 1:30 a.m. and the house was already engulfed in flames.

The two neighboring homes were damaged. One was vacant and a woman in the other was evacuated until the fire was out.

'The houses were so close together and crews did a great keeping the fire contained,' said Battalion Chief Sam Gulisano.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/local/mycity/chesapeake/2014/09/09/14816638/