LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

UPDATE 1:30 p.m.: Crews have cleared the scene. Personnel isolated the problem to rooftop HVAC units.
*****

SUFFOLK -- The Walmart on Main Street in Suffolk has been evacuated after carbon monoxide was detected in the store.

Crews were called to the store around 9:38 a.m. after a worker reported smelling gas in the store.

The store was evacuated at 9:44 a.m. and won't reopen until the building is deemed safe.

Virginia Natural Gas secured the gas lines to the building as a precautionary measure, said City spokeswoman Diana Klink says Walmart's regional maintenance personnel will work to isolate the cause of the detection of carbon monoxide and the odor of gas.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/10/14855418/