LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

VIRGINIA BEACH -A woman who was badly burned when fire swept through her Virginia Beach home early Monday morning has died.

Fire officials say 41-year-old Michel Leidh Bulens was taken to the hospital in critical condition with 2nd and 3rd degree burns and passed away Monday night.

34-year-old Erik Stephen Ervin died at the scene.

Investigators say the fire at 1013 Kinderly Lane started by improperly discarded cigarettes in conjunction with fireworks.

Crews were called just before 3:00 a.m. after a neighbor reported hearing a boom and then saw fire coming from the back of the home, according to Battalion Chief James Ramsey.

Firefighters battled smoke and flames on the first and second floors and found the victims within 10 minutes of getting inside.

Ramsey said crews had the fire under control in 25 minutes and kept it from spreading, but siding on two neighboring houses was damaged.

Two firefighters with minor injuries were were treated and released.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/09/14814406/