LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NEWPORT NEWS- An accidental fire in an apartment above the AmericanClassic SelfStorage in the 14000 Block ofWarwick Avenue has put two people out of their home.

The fire broke out around 10 a.m. Thursday. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the two-story building.

Alexis Thompson who works next door said she heard a woman yelling for help, so she looked outside and saw the smoke. She ran over and went up the stairs to see if anyone was still inside.

'It was so smoky, the walls were all black,' she said.

The aparetment was empty. The woman who lived there had gotten out and was waiting outside.

'It was so cold me and my grandmother gave her a coat. She told me and another woman she was burning a candle,' Thompson added.

It took ten minutes to get the fire under control.

Newport News Fire officials tell 13News Now that the woman and a child were displaced and the apartment will be condemned due to the extent of damage.

The American Red Cross is helping them.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/10/14842288/