LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NORFOLK -- Students at Booker T. Washington High School in Norfolk got an unexpected break from class.

They were evacuated because of fire in a bathroom trash can, Schools spokeswoman Elizabeth Mather told WVEC.com.

Firefighters were called to the school on Park Avenue around 10:30 a.m.

'Students were evacuated while the smoke was cleared and should be back in the building shortly,' she said.

No one was hurt.

The investigation continues.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/10/14865216/