LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

VIRGINIA BEACH-- The holidays took a sad turn for a Virginia Beach family Friday night.

A fire broke out in their home in the 5500 block of Rutledge Road around 7:24 p.m. Luckily everyone in the house at the time got out ok.

Firefighters had the fire under control by around 7:45 p.m. The house's kitchen sustained heavy fire damage and there was smoke damage throughout the rest of the home.

Two adults and 4 children were displaced. Fire personnel also rescued two cats and a dog. There were no injuries.

The fire has been ruled accidental and the Red Cross was called to help the family.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/09/14794062/