LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NORFOLK - The shrill sound of the smoke alarm woke a woman up and she was able to get her family out of their burning house.

Norfolk firefighters say the woman told them she was asleep and her children had gotten up in the middle of the night to make food.

A gas burner had been left on and cooking oil caught fire, said Capt. Mike Hicks.

Firefighters arrived on Vernon Drive around 3:35 a.m. and wrapped up about an hour later.

No one in the house was hurt.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/09/14815402/