9/19 12:11 p.m. update: The Navy says a 25-year-old retired Sailor gained access to a building on Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads and started acting suspiciously. Base security was alerted and when security arrived, the individual communicated a threat. Security apprehended the individual and after questioning it was determined that he may need medical care. He was transferred to a medical facility for evaluation.
NORFOLK -- Gates were closed at Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads following a security incident Wednesday afternoon.
Officials told 13News Now that Naval Security and NCIS responded to a call around 3 p.m. of a suspicious-looking person, believed to be a military retiree, attempting to enter a secure space at the base.
That person was apprehended.
Beth Baker from Navy Mid Atlantic Region says Explosive Ordnance Disposal units were called in and searched the individual's bag and car.
Three buildings were evacuated during the incident.
As an extra precaution, they swept the area near where the suspect was found, and so far, that has turned up nothing, Baker said.
Baker says initially, everything looks okay with the suspect's vehicle and his other personal property.
Gates reopened around 4:45 p.m.
Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads posted this to their facebook page around 4:45 p.m.