Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

VIRGINIA BEACH-Firefighters had to battle the cold and snow in Va. Beach late Tuesday.

Crews were called to Runnymeade Circle in the Kings Grant neighborhood around 11:05 p.m.

'Fire extension was aided by the wind,' Battalion Chief Amy Valdez told WVEC.com. 'We train specifically to deal with wind driven fire because it can be very difficult.'

The house suffered heavy fire and water damage; the two people in the home were treated at the scene and one of them was treated for smoke inhalation, Valdez noted.

Officials say the cause was accidental and believe it started in the fireplace.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/10/14845404/