7/23 UPDATE: A spokeswoman from Harbour Pointe's corporate office in Nashville, Tenn. says all 146 residents transported to local nursing facilities are doing well.

She said attempts were made to contact the people on the residents' emergency contact forms.

Norfolk fire officials and an electrician will be at the facility Wednesday to make the necessary repairs. Residents will be returned once the building is deemed safe.

NORFOLK -- Nearly 150 residents and staff at the Harbour Pointe Healthcare andRehabilitation Center were evacuated following an electrical malfunction Tuesday.

Fire officials say water leaked into some electrical service panels when a sprinkler discharged during routine maintenance on a generator around 12:45 p.m.

The room did experience some flooding and electrical service has been shut down for further investigation, Norfolk Fire Battalion Chief Julian Williamson said.

Nearly 150 residents were evacuated and relocated to local facilities while the electrical service is being evaluated.

'I worried. I'm worried. Anybody would,' said Lily Battle, whose daughter works at the center.' They got enough ambulances and stuff out here, so everything look like it's gonna be good.'

'The biggest challenge is gonna be laying down for the transport. It's gonna be a little bit bumpy, so they'll be a little bit scared being out of their environment,' said Patti Montes, a nurse and Unit Coordinator of Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital's Emergency Room, who was there to assist. 'Sentara's a community partner, and the community calls us, we're gonna respond.'

The facility was the site of a fire that killed 12 people in 1989, according to FEMA documents obtained by 13News Now.

Read or Share this story: